Without classes or work to keep me busy, I can get a bit restless with all the extra free-time. What do I do? Certainly I can’t just sit around all day doing nothing? I’ll admit it has a bit to do with my anxiety. So to keep me from being too anxious about wasting my time doing nothing, I find the holidays to be the perfect time to pick up the hobbies I’ve neglected while too busy with classes. Also, since I don’t have any major time-consuming work projects, I can dedicate my time to learning new hobbies and developing new skills.
So for the next few weeks, here’s what I’ll be doing:
- All the crochet! I picked it up again earlier this year and I’ve been loving it. Because of a busy schedule I couldn’t make much progress, but now I’m determined to finish the scarf I had been working on and maybe even attempt to make a sweater. We’ll see how that goes though.
- So much reading. I was in a terrible reading slump for the longest time, and now that I recovered my passion for reading and have free time, I plan on reading as much as I possibly can. In fact, thanks to the magic that are audiobooks, I can do this while crocheting my days away.
- Taking care and spending quality time with all my pets & plants. Of course I still take good care of them during the semester, but I love dedicating special attention to them whenever I have free time. Taking my dog on longer walks, taking my turtles outside so they can sunbathe, playing with my cats more often, fertilizing my plants and repotting them if needed.
- Reorganize/redecorate my room. I love organizing everything, and the end of the year is the perfect opportunity to declutter my closet, reorganize my bookshelves, maybe move some furniture around. It makes me insanely happy.
- After years of seeing my sisters draw/paint & following artists online, I really want to learn how to draw. I’m terrible at it but have always loved the idea and the results, and watching other people get better and better always inspires me. Maybe even use watercolors? Watercolor paintings are always so beautiful, I’d love to learn it as well.
That’s basically it. Of course there are many other things I’d love to try, but I don’t want to overwhelm myself. The idea is to give me purpose and direction so I don’t go crazy without a set schedule and clearly defined goals for each day. But not so much as to make me stressed out, feeling like I have too much to do. All of these are kozy (wink-wink) activities to keep me centered and happy, resting but in a productive way.
If you also struggle with anxiety, or get restless when you suddenly have too much free-time on your hands, I hope this post will help you find something to occupy your time, while also allowing you to recharge for the new year ahead.
Please let me know what you like to do in your free time! I’d love to get new ideas in case I run out of yarn.
Until next time,